On the menu tonight is Sloppy Joes. I think this is a great fall dish, perfect for football nights. When preparing this dish, I realized there are two must-know tips that I cannot live without, so I thought I'd share them with you.
#1) How to Chop Onions
My friend Jonsey taught me this trick years ago, after she attended culinary school in Hawaii. You can learn the proper (and best way!) to chop onions here from Martha and eHow.
#2) Freeze the Remaining Chopped Onions
I learned this tip from our very own Carrie Petersen one cooking night long ago. Once you've gone through the work of chopping your onion, seal the remaining chopped pieces in a plastic baggie and toss them in your freezer. Next time you make a dish that calls for onions, you're ready to go!
#1) How to Chop Onions
My friend Jonsey taught me this trick years ago, after she attended culinary school in Hawaii. You can learn the proper (and best way!) to chop onions here from Martha and eHow.
#2) Freeze the Remaining Chopped Onions
I learned this tip from our very own Carrie Petersen one cooking night long ago. Once you've gone through the work of chopping your onion, seal the remaining chopped pieces in a plastic baggie and toss them in your freezer. Next time you make a dish that calls for onions, you're ready to go!
BBQ Sloppy Joes
1 lb. ground beef
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup ketcup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp dry mustard
1 cup tomato juice (or 8 oz can tomato sauce + 6 oz water)
1/4 vinegar
3/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp parsley
salt & pepper to taste
cheddar cheese.
Brown groun beef in skillet. Drain excess fat. Brown chopped onion and mix with beef. Add garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least two hours. Serve on some delicious toasted buns and top with cheddar cheese.
This is a great dish to make extras and freeze!





1 comment:
mmm sounds great - I also love your rolls!
Post a Comment