Friday, October 3, 2008

Peach Cobbler

I realize that the majority of my posts are DESSERTS! I guess you can tell I'm a huge fan, and dessert is always that "something extra" the little icing on the cake, or just a great excuse to enjoy something tasty with those you love.

With it being fall and peaches in season - I always crave peach desserts...

I made this cobbler with a friend last night and it was instant success. #1) because it tasted good and #2) it's super easy since the ingredients you actually always have around.


I have made this dish with both fresh and canned peaches and it is still amazing--even my grandma wanted the recipe and I knew I'd arrived since she has lived long enough to have her share of cobblers. I really love the strussel/crunch type cobbler as well, but the recipe below is more "dutch oven-ish" style - if you catch my jist.


Also - there was a big debate on the "al a mode" factor. It just isn't peach cobbler with out the ice cream. I guess I would have to agree. I love the combo of chilled ice cream and warm cobbler.


PEACH COBBLER:


Batter:

1/2 cup melted butter

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

2/3 cup room temperature milk

1 room temperature egg [and yes the more I cook the more I realize that room temperature stuff really does make a difference!]


Filling

1 (28 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained [I like to thinly slice]

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg


1) Melt Butter in a 9 x 13 inch pan

2)Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder & salt

3) Stir in milk and egg

4) Pour evenly over melted butter

5) Combine peaches, sugar & spices and spread over batter--DO NOT STIR!

6) Bake 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees until batter comes to the top and is golden brown

7) Serve warm with Ice Cream!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Sounds GREAT although I'll admit I'm exactly the opposite - I hate making desserts because then I just eat it all and really pack on the pounds. As a result, poor Eric never gets dessert unless I'm making it for a family event. I love desserts so much I just don't have the self restraint! I will have to try this one out the next time the fam gets together!

Liz Green said...

Yummy, yummy! I'm way excited to make this. Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

I made this on Sunday for my parents and it was awesome! So easy to make and delicious! I actually used a slightly smaller pan, real peaches my sister had given me from her tree, and topped it off with butter pecan ice cream and homemade whip cream but it still was wonderful. Thanks for the great recipe!