I know it sounds weird in the summer but these were the biggest HIT! Perfect batter, mix of spices and it reminded Matt and I of a favorite breakfast spot called Cafe 222 in San Diego back in January of this year. I might just add a sprinkle of walnuts on top with whip cream in the future...
A must try if you are a pumpkin fan like us.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
1/2 cup canned pumpkin [the only ingredient you probably don't have on hand]
Vegetable oil for brushing waffle iron (or Olive Oil- I love my spray can mister jar that I fill with Olive Oil)
Maple Syrup for serving
PREPARE the BATTER:
Heat the oven to 250F. Heat a waffle iron. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter, and pumpkin in a medium size bowl. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until combined. Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until stiff and fold them into the batter.
COOK the WAFFLES:
Brush the waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon in batter (about 1/4 cup per waffle), spreading quickly. Cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer waffles to a rack in the oven to keep warm and crisp. (I don't do as I like to eat them as they get done). Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot with maple syrup.
Batter makes quite a lot - we have leftovers for Sunday Brunch!
Taken from a great cooking sassy library book from Serena (Farm Chicks in the Kitchen)
pg. 41 - breakfast although I love Breakfast for Dinner!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment