
Alli Jones is the winner of the MexicAn Vanilla conTest as her entry barely snuck in the day of our deadline. I was curious about her oatmeal techniques etc... and contacted her for her special family traditions and she replied with the following. I can't wait to try the pancakes and homemade syrup as I am a breakfast LOVER my heart. Alli is thrilled to be using her new MexiCAn VaniLLa this week.
"Delightful! I'm so excited to try Mexican vanilla.
It's actually a Sunday afternoon tradition. If we ever have afternoon church I would love to make the pancakes in the morning but we are lucky to have a banana or yogurt before we leave for church. So after church I am make sister-in-law's roommate's whole wheat buttermilk pancakes with buttermilk syrup. We love them. Here it is....
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
2 eggs (separated - beat whites and set aside)
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. vegetable oil (sometimes I use applesauce when I'm feeling healthy)
1 c. whole wheat flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 t. sugar
Mix first three ingredients. Mix in dry ingredients. Fold in beaten egg whites. Cook on skillet or you can make them into waffles.
ButterMilk Syrup
1/2 cube butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
Melt butter (medium heat), stir in sugar and then add buttermilk. Turn up heat and let boil for 1 minute. Take off heat, add soda and vanilla (I usually add a little extra). Serve warm.
As for the oatmeal. I like old fashioned oats (not the one minute). Follow regular preparation instructions. I add a pinch of salt, a little cinnamon and some vanilla. Once cooked I add maple syrup or brown sugar. Nothing too fancy but adding the salt, cinnamon and vanilla make it SO much better.
Thanks!
Alli"
It's actually a Sunday afternoon tradition. If we ever have afternoon church I would love to make the pancakes in the morning but we are lucky to have a banana or yogurt before we leave for church. So after church I am make sister-in-law's roommate's whole wheat buttermilk pancakes with buttermilk syrup. We love them. Here it is....
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
2 eggs (separated - beat whites and set aside)
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. vegetable oil (sometimes I use applesauce when I'm feeling healthy)
1 c. whole wheat flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 t. sugar
Mix first three ingredients. Mix in dry ingredients. Fold in beaten egg whites. Cook on skillet or you can make them into waffles.
ButterMilk Syrup
1/2 cube butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
Melt butter (medium heat), stir in sugar and then add buttermilk. Turn up heat and let boil for 1 minute. Take off heat, add soda and vanilla (I usually add a little extra). Serve warm.
As for the oatmeal. I like old fashioned oats (not the one minute). Follow regular preparation instructions. I add a pinch of salt, a little cinnamon and some vanilla. Once cooked I add maple syrup or brown sugar. Nothing too fancy but adding the salt, cinnamon and vanilla make it SO much better.
Thanks!
Alli"





1 comment:
so i made these this past Tuesday and my whole day was better! Amazing what a great breakfast start will do. They syrup was fantastic, however, next time I'd half the recipe since I had quite a bit left over - or simply double the pancake recipe mix.
DELicIOUS!!!
Post a Comment