Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Playground Granola Bars

Friends! I'm excited to be a contributer to this blog.
These granola bars are a great snack when you just need a little something to tie you down. My husband loves them in his lunch and says they taste better then store bought. He prefers using white chocolate chips, which are very tasty. The trick is cooking them the right amount of time so they're not too hard, but still plenty baked. The recipe says to cook them for 30-35 minutes, but I generally cook them for 25 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. It's also helpful to use a rolling pin to spread them out evenly in the pan. Sometimes I add a little more flour until the texture feels right. Enjoy!



Dry Ingredience
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins or chocolate chips

Wet Ingredience
1/2 cup honey
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup of oil
2 tsp. vegetable oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan or line it with heavy tin foil for easier cleaning.
2. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Welcome to the blog! Looks like a fun recipe - I'm excited to try it. And I am very much in need of healthier recipes so keep them coming!

Heather said...

yum I can't wait to try them! thanks Lizzy
one day Truman will love them too!